TaylorMade Tour Staff Professional Darren Clarke captured the Open Championship Sunday, realizing a lifelong dream of hoisting the Claret Jug after delivering a virtuoso performance at Royal St. George's. Exceptional ballstriking and true grit fuelled Clarke's emotionally charged victory at the Open, his first major championship win in 54 attempts.
"it's been a dream since i've been a kid to win The Open, like any kid's dream is, and i'm able to do it, which just feels incredible, incredible right now," Clarke said.*
Playing the R11 driver, Tour Preferred MB irons and the Penta TP golf ball, the journeyman Clarke was well-suited to take on classic Open conditions. Three consecutive rounds in the 60s put Clarke in position to capitalize on a one-shot lead Sunday, a wild afternoon that hosted his gutsy final-round 70 - highlighted by a 20-foot eagle putt at the par-5 seventh. His 72-hole total of 275 was good for a three-shot win, his second this year and 21st career worldwide. Clarke previously won the iberdrola Open in May.
With the win, Clarke, 42, became the oldest Open Champion since 1967 and left little doubt about the celebration to ensue in his home country of Northern Ireland. Clarke also moved to No. 30 in the Official World Golf Rankings and now ranks sixth in the Race to Dubai.
TaylorMade drivers have been used in 32 victories worldwide in 2011 - more than any other brand. Clarke's victory marks the first major win for the revolutionary R11 driver and second for the Penta TP golf ball. TaylorMade-adidas Golf Tour Staff professional Martin Kaymer won the 2010 PGA Championship playing Penta TP, the first and only five-layer Tour ball and the most complete ball in golf.
*Quote from asapsports.com
What's in Clarke's Bag
R11 Driver - 9*
R9 fairway - 13*
Rescue 09 - TP 19*
Tour Preferred MB irons (4-PW)
TP xFT ZTP 50* wedge
TP xFT ZTP 54* wedge
TP xFT ZTP 58* wedge
Penta TP golf ball
· TaylorMade Tour Staff professional Darren Clarke wins the 2011 Open Championship playing R11 driver, Penta TP and Tour Preferred MB forged irons
· Clarke, 42, becomes oldest Open Champion since 1967
· Clarke moves to No. 30 in the Official World Golf Rankings and sixth in the Race to the Dubai standings
· The win marks the 32nd worldwide for TaylorMade drivers in 2011 - more than any other brand
· Clarke's win marks the first major championship victory for the R11 driver and second for the Penta TP golf ball
Connect with TaylorMade Golf at www.taylormadegolf.com.au or www.taylormadegolf.co.nz